San Jose Discrimination / Harassment Attorney
Our San Jose discrimination attorneys at Habbu & Park will help you understand what constitutes employment discrimination and harassment. We have been working with discrimination cases in the Bay Area for over two decades. Discrimination and harassment can be extremely harmful to the victims and costly to the employer and the harassing employee.
California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act defines discrimination as:
- For an employer, because of the race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation of any person, to refuse to hire or employ the person or to refuse to select the person for a training program leading to employment, or to bar or to discharge the person from employment or from a training program leading to employment, or to discriminate against the person in compensation or in terms, conditions, or privileges of employment.
- Medical condition generally relates to cancer or genetic characteristic.
- Discrimination and harassment against a pregnant employee is also illegal.
- The most common type of employment discrimination is called disparate treatment. It occurs when an employee is treated worse than other employees who are not in the same protected class. A protected class consists of the employees who have the same protected characteristic, such as race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, and so on.
- A less common form of illegal employment discrimination is called disparate impact. It occurs when an employer has a practice or policy that has a disproportionate adverse affect on people of a protected class.
Harassment against an employee because of their race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or sexual orientation is also illegal.
Use Our Discrimination Law Attorneys’ Expertise Today
Contact us, if you feel you have been discriminated against or one of your employees has a discrimination issue. Our Bay Area team is dedicated to using our collective experience, talent, creativity, and perseverance to obtain results that meet your objectives and relieve you of the stress associated with legal issues. Our San Jose law firm is devoted to working for you in resolving discrimination cases. Please contact Habbu & Park for an informative consultation about your discrimination case. Call us at
408-993-9577, email us, or visit us at 95 South Market Street, Suite 530, San Jose, California 95113.